Thursday, September 18, 2014

Maleficent

Bio
Character: Maleficent
Origin: Maleficent Film
Year constructed: 2014
Debuted at: NärCon 2014

Why
Reference photo - Angelina Jolie as Maleficent
I've always wanted to do Maleficent from Disney's Sleeping Beauty, I've just never gotten around to do it. But when the first trailer of the new Maleficent film was realeased, I made up my mind. This was it. I love everything about this movie, Angelina Jolie's portrayal of her character and all the gorgeous costumes. My friend Rebecca and Karu agreed to make a group as Aurora and Diaval, and all of a sudden we were set.


How
I suck at forgot to take reference photos of many parts of this costume, but I'll talk about the accessories instead. The dress is basically just a long dress with sleeves long as hell, sewn in a ridiculously pretty fabric I just happened to stumble upon. The cloak's train measures roughly three meters, and that along with the huge arms made the costume weight almost ten kilos haha.






The headpiece is made out of a ton of different materials - however I have a tutorial just on this specific headpiece over at my tutorials section, so I strongly suggest you go over there if you want to see exactly how it's made! The base cowl is worbla, and the horns are craft foam. It's all wrapped up first in rubber tape and then wrapped in shiny pleather to get the wrap effect. The front piece is purple snake skin which I dyed the proper color. The headpiece is also lined with soft foam on the inside, to prevent me from getting rashes or headaches  :D



The collar is simply craft foam lined with aluminim string (to be able to hold the leaf-shape) and then covered in matte fabric.

The ring and chest-gem is made completely out of worbla. I experimented a bit with self-crackled paint to get a stone surface, and then added color streaks to make it look prettier and more realistic.

As for the makeup on this costume, I casted latex cheekbone prosthetics to get Angelina's sick cheekbones, but in the extreme heat that was during NärCon, they melted :( Which is why I don't have any photos of them, sadly.


The staff is just a wooden staff that I gave texture by drawing lines with a hot glue gun, and spray painting. It turned out pretty wood-like actually! The orb is light which shifts into three different colors, red, blue and green. The vines growing on top of it is just rolled up worbla pieces painted black :)


Thoughts
I loved wearing this costume, because my group was awesome. I was very worried about wearing it because I have a lot of self confidence issues, and to me to wear a costume that is very form-fitting and has a cowl that shows off aaaall of your face was challenging. And with my cheekbone prosthetics melting and all, I really wasn't very happy when I changed into this costume during the con, haha. But my amazing group made up for it, and in the end I am so damn proud I pulled this costume off haha <3

Photos
Click for larger versions!



 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment